Descaling For Nespresso Machines
What Is Descaling?
All coffee machines, including Nespresso machines, build up hard deposits of calcium and lime from water. Descaling your machine will remove these deposits, allowing the coffee to achieve a proper extraction, thereby improving its flavor and temperature. Since flavor and temperature are two key components to the overall coffee experience it’s important to keep the machine running like new.
How Often Does It Need To Be Done?
We recommend descaling your Nespresso machines at least twice a year, or after about 250 uses.
How Do I Descale My Nespresso Machine?
Descaling your Nespresso machine is a simple process that can be done in four easy steps. Essentially, it involves adding a descaling solution to the water reservoir and flushing the solution through the machine. Check the video and follow these four simple steps:
Step 1 - Get Your Machine Ready
- Turn on your machine
- Before starting, remove the capsule container, drip dray and any capsules
- Place a container or cup under the coffee spout that can hold at least 4 cups of water (equivalent to 1 liter)
- Fill the water tank with 500 ml of water and mix in the Nespressodescaling solution
- Turn the machine on and allow it to heat up
Step 2 - Descale Your Specific Machine
- To activate the descaling mode, wait until the 2 buttons stop flashing
- Then, for the Inissia, Pixie, CitiZ, and Essenza - press the two top buttons simultaneously for three seconds, for the U machine - press all three buttons simultaneously for three seconds, for the Lattissima models - put in the descaling nozzle and press the "Lungo" button
- The lights will start flashing quickly to indicate that the descaling mode is activated
- Press the "Lungo" button to start
Step 3 - Rinse!
- Once the flow is finished, refill the water tank with the used solution
- Press the Lungo button and let all the descaling solution flow through the machine again
- To finish, empty and thoroughly rinse out the water tank
- Refill it with fresh water
- Press the Lungo button to empty the water tank completely of its contents
- Empty and rinse out the drip tray
Step 4 - Exit the Descaling Mode
- For the Inissia, Pixie, CitiZ, and Essenza - press the two top buttons simultaneously for three seconds to exit the descaling mode, for the U machine - press all three buttons simultaneously for three seconds, for the Lattissima models - take out the descaling nozzle
- The buttons will blink for 25 seconds during the pre-heating phase
- Your Nespresso machine is now ready for normal use
You can now continue to enjoy our range of Gourmesso capsules specifically designed to optimize the extraction quality of your machine, and guarantee the ultimate coffee quality, cup after cup. Still have questions? Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about descaling your Nespresso machine. If You Enjoyed this how-to and would like to learn more, click here.
Want an easier way to clean your machine? Check out our cleaning pods for Nespresso machines.